food. scones.

Lucy was put to the test again. This time scones were on the menu. I obviously haven't figured out what to start with and build up to when it comes to baking. I like the "close your eyes and pick something" method.

If you've already mastered scones, don't judge me. Give me tips instead.

This recipe has very few ingredients, you actually probably have them all in your pantry right now. Go ahead, make some scones. You'll make someone's day.

Scones from kitchenaid.com.au
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups (450g) plain flour 
  • 1½ tbspn baking powder 
  • good pinch salt 
  • 2 tbspn castor sugar 
  • 60g (¼ cup) cold butter, cut into small cubes 
  • 150ml (scant ⅔ cup) milk 
  • 150ml (scant⅔ cup) water 
  • extra flour for dusting 
  • 2 tspn extra milk for brushing tops 
Directions: (these are straight from the KitchenAid site. I didn't think messing with this recipe would help me in the long run)
1. Prepare an oven shelf by placing it in the top third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 210˚C (190˚C fan forced). Paper line or grease and flour a baking sheet.
2. Attach the mixing bowl, flat beater and pouring shield to the stand mixer. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt to the bowl; turn the mixer to speed 2 and mix until well combined. Drop in the butter and increase the mixer speed to speed 4. Mix for 2 minutes, or until the butter and flour are well mixed and the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.


3. Turn off the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the milk and water and mix on speed 6 until the mixture just forms a dough. This will only take about 8 seconds. Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead lightly until the dough feels soft and smooth. Gently form the dough into a circle, approximately 3 cm thick and cut out the scones using a cutter that is regularly dipped in flour.


4. Arrange the scones on the prepared baking tray so that they are touching each other. Lightly brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
5. Bake without delay on the top shelf of the oven for about 12 minutes.


Helpful tips from the 'peeps at KitchenAid:
*Do not over work the mixture.
*Use plain flour and add baking powder for best results.
*Placing the scones on the tray so they are touching helps them to rise vertically during baking, giving you a taller, finished scone.

Jen's Notes:
  • I bought a stick of butter that didn't have the helpful measurements on the side. #fail.
  • Yep, I'm using the toothpick test in the photo above to see if they were done. See next note.
  • The top of my scones didn't brown as much as I would like - I'm still learning how to use my tiny convection oven.
  • For the original recipe, click here (even though the above is the original)
  • I enjoyed my scones with butter and honey, Nate had his with apricot jam and cream. You can pick your own poison. I won't say anything (WHO puts CREAM on a scone?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment